|Welcome to HutSki.com - 10th Mountain, Braun Huts, Summit Huts and Friends Hut Information & Free Topo Maps
Skiing above Francie's Cabin, Summit Hut System.
We have one
purpose here, to provide you with information about backcountry
skiing Colorado huts so your travels will be safer and more fun.
(2013 OPA HUT, Latest, January 2013, we have added verbal description and GPS route file for shortest route to Opa's, from Express Creek. Mapping for the Express Creek route is included on our Google map See our Opa Hut page.)
- We have a a complete set of free topo maps and route descriptions ready for use, but changes and updates are ongoing. So check back often.
- Remember to use HutSki.com in conjunction with the 10th Mountain Huts reservations website.
- Use of HutSki.com requires a speedy internet connection due to our large high quality accurate topo maps. If you need our route descriptions for 10th Mountain Hut System and Summit Hut System and don't have a high speed connection, turn off image viewing in your browser.
- Complete detailed mapping, free.
- Route descriptions, free.
- GPS tracks for selected routes.
- User forums.
- Tips and information pages.
- Resources, shopping and more.
Of course the web has one problem when used for providing backcountry skiing information: You can't take it with you. Or can you? HutSki.com is designed to be printer friendly. All our website page content is the proper width to output correctly on any standard 8.5x11 computer printer; the same being true of our maps. More, we are well on the way to providing you with paperless mapping by providing digital versions of our maps, as well as GPS tracks you can load into a map capable GPS unit. Look for more about paperless mapping as this next season progresses -- great way to consume less and reduce your carbon footprint!
And if you feel you need a book, may we recommend Warren Ohlrich's excellent and incredibly detailed 10th Mountain Division and Summit Huts guidebook, "10th Mountain Hut Book." As for the Alfred Braun Huts and Friends Hut, no detailed paper guidebook exists, so we make it our ongoing mission here to provide as much detail as possible about those huts.
Please feel free to print anything you find on this website and use it to build your own backcountry skiing field notes. (Note, most inkjet printer ink is water soluble. For use in the field, at the least carry your print-out in sealed ziplock bags, or have them laminated.
Best, use special paper (see link to right) that results in a waterproof printout. Black and white laser printer output is relatively moisture proof, but our maps are intended to be printed in color (though they'll function in black and white).
Our content includes hundreds of route descriptions, numerous how-to's and a tileset of annotated topographic maps for the 10th Mountain Huts and Summit Huts that are accurate and free. Please enjoy. To leave comments and feedback consider using our forums (see menu above).
We trust you'll find HutSki.com useful for planning and completing your next Colorado hut trip!
Ski touring above 10th Mountain Peter Estin Hut